L: 2 Stars / J: 3.5 Stars
J: I really like this episode but I don’t know why.
L: When this episode comes on my gut reaction is always “UGH. Not the Bangles episode again.” But this is a good place to start, because this episode, toward the end of the first season, is our first taste of what a shitty person Lorelai Gilmore is. I mean, she is just the worst. Let me list the ways in no particular order:
- She thinks that Rachel jacket is a good article of clothing to put on your body.
- She seems so hell-bent on getting Rory to be friends with Paris, Louise, and Madeline, three classmates who she knows have been assholes to her. Of all the little spoiled shits at Chilton, why the fuck would she want her to be friends with three known, proven assholes? There is literally no reason to want your child to befriend assholes. Nothing good can come of it.
- And on that note, why is she then so goddamned surprised when they peace out from a BANGLES concert? I mean where else would a teenager in the late ’90s- early ’00s rather be than a Bangles concert headbanging to “Hero Takes a Fall?” (Answer: literally anywhere else.)
J: This is Lorelai’s most asshole move ever. She just gives away Sookie’s tickets to these kids.
L: YES! Wait, they were Sookie’s tickets?! Holy shit!
- She GIVES AWAY Sookie’s Bangles tickets to these three proven assholes in some weird “please like my daughter” bribery scheme. I mean is there anything cuntier? Sookie should have dumped her as a friend from the nosebleed seats during Eternal Flame and spun off her own show (but also let’s be honest I wouldn’t have watched it).
- The way she whines “unbelievable!” when the two of the three assholes disappear the Bangles concert. Actually Lorelai, it is completely believable, they are spoiled rich brats who have been incessantly bullying your daughter who barely know you and you gifted them Bangles tickets for no real reason whatsoever thus amping up their entitlement complex and making them feel like they can do anything without consequences because they are out on the town with a stranger lady and her loser friendless daughter.
- She shifts from her ridiculous blue to even more obnoxious green eyeshadow and I have to look away from the screen during closeups.