J: 3 stars / L: 3 stars
This episode could be renamed The Year 2000, Part II. For the most part we can sort of pretend this show is timeless, but this particular episode feels so, so dated:
- Rory’s post-breakup outfit is straight off the cover of a Delia’s catalog (her pants look so comfy). Lorelai’s rainbow-shouldered sweater can also surely be found inside.
- Sherpa. Jackets.
- As we enter the party, Beck is playing. But it’s not like, “Blue Moon” Beck. Or even “Loser” Beck. It’s “Where It’s At” Beck. The Beck we all wish we could forget.
- Madeline and Louise have matching up-dos with side wisps.
- While we are on the topic of hair, Louise’s date has a No-Strings-Attached era two-tone Timber-do. It is impressive and harks back to the magical days before Guy Fieri singlehandedly ruined frosted tips.
- Someone gets described as “Most likely to dress like Jennifer Lopez.” I am not sure whether this is an insult or a compliment or what it even means.
- Aaaand we have Outkast.
- Is Tristan is wearing a choker? Tristan is wearing a choker (just so we are clear it is of the non-puka variety and like nothing I have ever seen on a dude but 2000 is kind of a blur for me so this might have been a thing back then).
- And finally, the kicker: Lorelai’s pearlescent frosty lip gloss. Hoo-wee.
The plotline is a bit of a drag – the breakup, the refusal to wallow, an encounter with mopey suck-uppy Tristan, the eventual inevitable wallowing. However, this episode redeems itself with a lot of great little scenes with the show’s best characters. What can we say, Rory’s pain brings out the best in everyone – particularly Babette recounting old bad relationships and Luke manhandling Dean in the middle of the street. Special bonus points also for Jackson and Sookie fighting over who loads the dishwasher correctly.
L: By the way, I’m with Sookie – I don’t like the way you load my dishwasher.
J: Yeah well I don’t like the way you load MY dishwasher
We both give this episode a solid 3 stars. J fell asleep for a lot of this so she has less to contribute, but we are not going to rewatch because we just noticed one of the best eps of all time is next. Stay tuned…